Content writing can be hard. Although there are so many things that you have to work on to make your article not only rank and generate traffic organically but also be click-worthy.
It’s not only important for new writers to format their new articles properly but it can be really frustrating and tiresome job if you are hiring a new writer.
Hiring new employees and giving them and literally teaching them even the most basic things can be really frustrating. And you wish they knew the most basic things that most the new content writers miss.
This article is written to lessen the burden of both the content writers and website owners who wish they could automate the process and don’t have to spend so much time on teaching very things to their writers.
This guide explains how you need to format an article properly. How the title should appear and how the content body should look like.
How and where do you add inbound and outbound links. How do you add h1, h2, and h3 tags within the articles? How your thumbnail should look like, what should be the size of your images, and so on.
These are the most important things about writing an article which you need to take care of. This article is not specific to WordPress. You follow the same for any kind of content writing.
Table of Contents
Writing Your Post Title (Heading)
- Each word of your post heading should start from the capital letter e.g “How To Lose Weight”
- There should be no spelling or grammar mistakes.
- Don’t simply use keywords as titles. Don’t write “How To Lose Weight”. Instead, Write “Complete Guide On How To Lose Weight Fast And Easily In No Time”
Keep Permalink Short
Permalink is your complete post URL for example
The last part or permalink is called a slug, for example, how-to-lose-weight
Always keep your slug short. it should only contain a maximum of 3-4 keywords
How To Write Description
- Write a short paragraph before writing a heading.
- All description headings should have H2 (Heading 2) tags or lower. Main headings in content must be H2 headings. Then any heading within H2 heading should be H3 and heading in H3 should be H4 and so on.
- Include at least 3 images in the description area for a better user experience.
- Add at least 2,3 Inbound links within your post. Don’t add them randomly, instead link them to relevant blogs from within your website. for example “Lose weight” word should be linked to another article on your website on “Losing weight”. Best to add the most inbound links in the first paraph of your blog post.
- Add at least 2,3 outbound links to external authoritative websites with high google page rank. for example, the “lose weight” word in your blog could link to this blog on the HealthLine.com website. A most common use of outbound links could be your adding source of information links.
- Use bold writing in random words within your blog post to catch user attention as we don’t want users to quickly scroll through the post. we want them to spend time on our website. This helps in a low bounce rate.
Adding Images In Blog Posts
- Always rename any image before you upload it to the website. For example, 12.jpg could be renamed as lose-weight.jpg. Don’t use the same name for all images. rename them using different keywords used within your blog post.
- The featured image size must be 1200 x 628 pixels or similar dimensions.
- Images in a blog post should not be in random sizes. preferably use square images in at least 500×500 pixels
- Post hight resolution images. images below 500×500 pixels are considered low resolution.
- Post images in large or full size.
- Add at least 2-3 images in a blog post.
Bonus tip: if you want to get a featured image of an already published article you can get that through these websites.
I personally prefer iframely. it’s fast and provides results in seconds.
- Always choose a category before publishing.
- Don’t choose multiple categories. Best to choose the single most suitable category for your blog post.
Add Meta Information
Meta information consists of meta title and meta description. For adding meta information generally, most websites use plugins like Yoast SEO. This is generally available at the end of your blog post.
- Add meta title. This is generally your post title.
- Add meta description. You could understand it as explaining your whole blog post in 1.5 lines.